Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf is a brand new forum focused on the forum version of the deception game Mafia/Werewolves

Video Game UPick is over! Town Wins!
www.mafia: a UPick is over. Town wins!
We now have a Discord Server!

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's the point of any of this? [Game End]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 45 of 46]

661 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:00 pm

I'm sorry, but the game will be ending here. I can't say I expected it to go any differently, being a vanilla game with several inactive players. It's been fun! I wish it could keep going with more games and quirks.

Ninfia, you are a very considerate host!!! Lucas, you are a precious cinnamon roll who can make even comic sans endearing.

Last edited by ☭ ƒ٧זΣ ☭ on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

I give her pretty words, but she sends me the mod kill.
View user profile

662 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:00 pm

The phase has ended.

663 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Ninfia

Admin
:)

View user profile http://www.ninfia.tumblr.com

664 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:04 pm

Since I missed so many days (apologies), I'm going to just leave this story segment blank today and do a broader wrapping up story in 24 hours around when I post a final star tally. I kind of didn't deliver on a few things I had planned, but, alas. I'm just glad others had fun with it. In other words...

"What's the point of any of this?" the girl will say.

One shape named Five has an answer. It's the best answer. It's the final answer. It's everyone's answer.

She says,

Spoiler:
"To answer the question "What's the point of any of this?", we must first break it down into parts, evaluating each of their meanings in turn. First, "what's"; a contraction meaning "what is". "What" is the subject of the interrogative sentence in question; "is" is the main verb. "What" is a pronoun indicating that the sentence is asking for information, an example of similar use would be the sentence "What will you eat for dinner?". "Is", a conjugated form of "to be", indicates the following phrase will represent the information being requested by the question; in this case "the point of any of this".

Having established that the answer to this question must be the information which could be said to be "the point of any of this", we must find the meaning of this objective phrase. "The" is the definite article, meaning the noun phrase it belongs to refers to a particular noun; "'The' point of any of this" would be different from "'a' point of any of this". "Point" is possibly the most complex word found in the question we seek to answer, as it has a multitude of meanings with often no relation to each other, and as such will be addressed later. "Of any of this" is a prepositional phrase with a second prepositional phrase nested inside of it; while its structure may be complex compared to the other phrases in the sentence, the meanings of "of" are related to such a degree that the phrase is fairly simple to analyze.

"This" can play the grammatical role of an adverb, a determiner, or a pronoun; however, the first two are easily eliminated in this context, as "this" cannot be modifying any other word in the sentence, as it would in use as a determiner (e.g. "get a load of 'this' asshole") or an adverb (e.g. "I can't handle food 'this' spicy"). As a pronoun, "this" indicates a specific thing or situation--one that must be fresh in the memory of the reader to have proper meaning. In this specific case, the most memorable situations would be the girl drawing shapes upon her paper and the subsequent ruination of said drawing. However, the context of "this" in the question points to another possibility.

The prepositional phrase, "of all of this", hints that it is not important what part of "this" we provide an answer in relation to. In questions, when used as a pronoun and followed by "of", it refers to a nonspecific part of the object of the prepositional phrase beginning with (in our case, the second) "of", without regard for which part is addressed; one part is as valid as another. It is possible, then, that "any of this" refers to anything at all, and the question could be rephrased to "What's the point of anything?"

"Point" can refer to a unit of measurement used in the realm of typefaces; for instance, I am currently typing this answer in a computer program called Notepad in 11-point font. While it is difficult to imagine this as the intended meaning of the word in the question, if we stretch the meaning a bit, one could imagine the question asking what size font "any of this" is written in. Equally unlikely, if not more so, is the word "point" in the question referring to a unit of score, as would determine a victory in one of many sports or other games, or else measure one's achievements. It is difficult to determine a meaning for "the point of any of this" in this context, unless perhaps one is asking which of one's actions would score a point.

A "point" can also be a place in space, or in geometry, with no dimensions. "The point of any of this", or "the point of anything", in this case, could be a point where one could locate anything, and could only refer to the singularity supposed by scientists to have existed before the astronomical event known as the "big bang" which resulted in the rapid expansion of that point, eventually leading to the universe as we know it. However, it is unclear why one would ask what the pre-big bang singularity is. Similarly, it can refer to a single moment in time,
but unless the girl is asking the time at which she was drawing or when the drawing was ruined, this leads to a meaningless question.

It can also refer to a pointed end or part of an object of any sort, as in the point of a sword or the end of a peninsula or other geographic feature such as the summit of a mountain. It is unclear what meaning the question would have in this context, as the girl isn't looking at her paper to see any pointed shapes drawn on it, nor the point of her pencil, nor any incidental point a part of the paper may have tapered to when it was crumpled. It can also refer to an aspect or area of a greater whole in contrast to the whole, such as in the sentences "Tact is not one of her strong points." and "There's this giant enemy crab, and you attack its weak point for massive damage." However, "the point" without any adjective or phrase modifying "point" does not lend itself to this particular meaning, as there is no contrast between "the point" and "any of this".

This leaves us with the most likely intended meaning of "point": a meaning or purpose, as in the sentence "You're not even reading this, so there's no point in me continuing to write it." (This sentence may or may not be the truth, in relation to this message as a role claim for a game of Mafia.) Were the girl asking "What's the point of this?" it would be likely she would be referring to the drawing she just ruined, but the inclusion of "any of" suggests a broader, perhaps more philosophical meaning to the phrase. The girl's question belies a deeper frustration than merely that with her ruined drawing if she is so deeply troubled as to ask for the meaning of "any of this" rather than merely "this"; likely, she is searching for meaning in her life, possibly even questioning whether or not there is any.

This question is one philosophers have striven to answer since the earliest civilizations, and for which a multitude of answers have been proposed. Even among the Ancient Greeks, several answers were derived, including attaining the highest form of knowledge, creating a great amount of happiness, living a life of virtue in harmony with nature, attaining tranquility and freedom from fear, freeing oneself from suffering through clear judgement, and likely several others less documented.

The philosophy of the Age of Enlightenment which dominated Europe during the 18th century provides further answers, but for the purposes of this role claim we'll ignore them for a couple reasons--first, I've written over a thousand words worth of quite frankly nothing already, and second, I don't even like Enlightenment philosophy. For instance, did you know one of the age's most influential philosophers, Immanuel Kant, rejected the idea that the consequences of an action were at all important to that action's moral value? I know! I know. It's ridiculous, isn't it? While the ridiculousness of Kant's Categorical Imperative, as he called it, may strike a chord with players in a game of Mafia, the real-life implications of his absolute morality are difficult to reconcile with reality. I really just want to get to Existentialism and Absurdism and be done with this, but we still have a whole century left to cover before that, don't we? Sigh!

In the 19th century, Jeremy Bentham proposed the Principle of Utility, which proposes that actions are good if they, overall, increase pleasure and reduce pain, and are bad if they do the opposite, with the meaning of life being the betterment of the world through the creation of pleasure and reduction of pain. Around the same time, nihilists suggested that there was no objective meaning to life, a grim prospect.

The discord between this lack of objective meaning in the universe and a person's inherent wish to find meaning gave rise to what philosophers call "absurdity", in this case referring to the specific dilemma which must be resolved. Philosophers such as Søren Kierkegaard and Albert Camus alleged there are three ways to resolve the condition of absurdity, though they disagreed as to the "correct" choice in the matter. The first method of resolving absurdity is suicide, which ends the dilemma by ending one's existence itself. I do believe we all would agree that this is not a viable answer; loath as I am to come so near to invoking the Categorical Imperative, were we all to choose this option, there would be nothing left.

The second option for coping with absurdity is to believe something exists beyond it, that something somewhere transcends the existence that we experience. Camus referred to this option as "philosophical suicide", as undesirable as plain suicide, while Kierkegaard and others refer to it as "religion". Kierkegaard, himself a Christian, considered this the righteous path toward freeing oneself from absurdity.

The final option, regarded by Camus as the correct one and by Kierkegaard as "demoniac madness", is to accept the Absurd and continue to live despite it, possibly even embracing it. This is similar to the Existentialist assertion that "existence precedes essence"; that is, before one exists, there can be no meaning to one's life, because one must make one's own meaning. There are many variations on what exactly this means, but the essence of Existentialism is that each person must create their own life's meaning for themselves.

Put simply, neither I nor anyone else can answer this question for this girl, who must find her own way. While this may seem a grim outlook to some, I would argue that it is in fact quite liberating; while one could say that the world is inherently meaningless, one could also say (and, in fact, I would say) that because of it, this girl is free to forge her own meaning, whatever she might want it to be. You do you, girlfriend. You do you."

Everyone stares. No one knows what to say. The shape named Five frowns. The girl frowns. Everyone's frowning. Five shakes her shape. Instead...

She says,

"The point is that each person must create their own life's meaning for themselves."

An End

Day Four has ended.
Five has decided to become a jigsaw puzzle piece. She was town.
The ratio is 4T:4M.
The Mafia win.
The game has ended.

Player answers will be posted soon, as well as the rough effects I had planned for them.

The star tally for successfully completing the special effects will be fully calculated and posted tomorrow.

I hope players enjoyed it, despite some inactivity and all else. The game was meant to be a bit silly and all over the place, and I hope it delivered to that end, even if I failed to deliver in some regards.

665 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:04 pm

Luxaria ~ <3 wrote:

Rules
Mafia has to exceed town to win.

View user profile

666 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:05 pm

Damn, too slow.

View user profile

667 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:06 pm

It'd be a night phase though and they'd lunch a town and it'd be over then anyway, it'd just delay the inevitable.

Also wtf is that smile Ninfia, we're you mafia????? I'm going to be SO MAD

668 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:07 pm

Ninfia was mafia : )

View user profile

669 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:07 pm

Clever, though. XD

Edit: And yeah, once I looked at the thread after I had gotten voted out (again, never looked at the thread during Easter Day), soon as I saw Ninfia's post, "Well, she's Maf."
XD

670 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Luxaria ~ <3 wrote:It's the best answer.
You're goddamn right, it is.

Truthfully, I'd given up a while ago. There's just no way for town to win a vanilla game with as much inactivity as we had. Oh well! It was fun while it lasted and now I can be done being a baby chinchilla and bring back Minerva. How I missed you.

I give her pretty words, but she sends me the mod kill.
View user profile

671 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Thanks for hosting, Lux.

Great job not being dead, Mafia.

View user profile

672 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:31 pm

oml i totally knew mitsu was maf again after she starting piggy-backing on cure and IT FOLLOWED MY THERE"S ONE MAF SUPER ACTIVE!!! but i knew nobody would follow a lynch after i acted super duper dumb before and she wasn't fos'd by anyone up to that point lmfao

i'm really sorry i couldn't be around for this rollover though because i would've brought it up but i was already running out of time when i made my post /_\ gomen

gg maf and thanks for hosting lux!!! it was super fun and funny

i'm totally keeping tyrogue my avatar now, sorry elpis

View user profile

673 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:34 pm

It's okay, Deo. We'll try again next time.

I'm guilty of being a little inactive as well. This game was pretty fun and low-stress at least!

View user profile

674 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:39 pm

t--that answer

INTEGER-KUN

I

I don't even want to imagine what kind of "special" that would trigger.

but anyway - thank you for hosting this game, lux-hosr!! it's been a lot of fun, and please don't be too hard on yourself for not finishing up rollovers and whatnot. I think despite anything else, it turned out pretty well and entertaining - at least from a dead man's point of view.

I had a lot of fun being dead /o/ decided that my new mission was to play and make people play along, so that was pretty fun. the games and the quirks were amusing, even if the quirks made everything a bit hard to follow at times. (I'm just glad I didn't have to spec like that, hahah.)

also big claps to mafia for leading town around and making us/them hit themselves in conclusion!
can't really do any "I knew it!" cause I've been intentionally skipping spec posts so I wouldn't get frustrated for not being able to spec though I did have my random hunches about some. well done guys, that was a well deserved victory.

675 Re: What's the point of any of this? [Game End] on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:43 pm

A shape named Tiki the Troll says, "To spread love and understanding!"

Spoiler:
Compliment the poster above. Profess fondness for other players when voting for them. Possibly learn about other shape's personalities.

A shape named Rasei says, "To live, pay taxes, and then die!"

Spoiler:
Short randomized bucket lists for each player to be completed. Taxes in the form of vowels or consonants being taken from the players.

A shape named drandahl says, "To understand all things and to bring the world under my control!"

Spoiler:
Be told a truth about another player's shape (the number of sides). Everyone must post pictures of robots. Once that's done, add an epithet to your username (Luxaria the Quiet).

A shape named Ninfia says, "That there isn't a point--life is about finding happiness in the waves we ride as we live it, not about finding a point!"

Spoiler:
Smiley faces in posts (instead of punctuation, or after player names, or at the end of paragraphs). Talk about your favorite things. Possibly talk about what you dreamed of doing as a child.

A shape named Jeanne11 says, "To have fun and make friends!"

Spoiler:
Everyone is given another shape they need to befriend. Possibly have those pairings need to find other pairings until everyone is linked and best friends.

A shape named high seraph says, "TO KISS KISS FALL IN LOVE, I GUESS!"

Spoiler:
Everyone is a secret admirer of another player. Told traits about their secret admirer or their crush? Send a kissing action via PM? Include hearts in posts (instead of punctuation, at the end of sentences, when voting, etc.).

A shape named Mr. Alice says, "Blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne! kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill!"

Spoiler:
All instances of Lynch, Kill, Nk, Mafia, Rollover, and Night must be colored red. Votes are replaced with "kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill: Player". Post a picture of your throne.

A shape named Sammiya says, "To live life to the fullest and have as much fun as you possibly can!"

Spoiler:
Increasing amounts of exclamation marks at the end of sentences, resetting each paragraph. Post inspirational quotes that rule your life.

A shape named ezzelin says, "To be able to pretend there are things you can do instead of facing the myriad of things around you that you can't! (Also, forty-two.)"

Spoiler:
Various restrictions on posting format that players need to figure out how to circumvent, thus finding ways to pretend they can do other things. Can't address others by name, end sentences in periods, align text to the left, use default font face, use default text color, etc. Also post a picture of a towel.

A shape named deo says, "To fulfill our life-long dream of becoming a real-life anime!"

Spoiler:
Pick your anime's opening theme, then later your theme song, then your ending theme. Post your anime catch-phrase in your Signature or Humor fields.

A shape named Cure says, "TO FUCK SHIT UP!"

Spoiler:
Post in all caps. Quote another player and make silly changes to the quoted text.

A shape named Aeiou says, "To be a dinosaur, obviously!"

Spoiler:
Maybe a dinosaur avatar. Add "saurus" or "asaur" to every player's name whenever you use another player's name (Blaireasaurus).

A shape named angelstar says, "To have all the delicious food and cute animals![/b]"

Spoiler:
Post pictures of favorite foods. Later, pick a food from another player that you want to try. Either post pictures of baby animals or make it into your avatar.

A shape named Avian says, "To hope that they'll give you their time!"

Spoiler:
Whenever you address or vote for another player, thank them for taking the time to play with you. Maybe something related to timezones? Gratitude to the person posting below you, or asking them about their day.

A shape named Five says, "The point is that each person must create their own life's meaning for themselves."

Spoiler:
"To answer the question "What's the point of any of this?", we must first break it down into parts, evaluating each of their meanings in turn. First, "what's"; a contraction meaning "what is". "What" is the subject of the interrogative sentence in question; "is" is the main verb. "What" is a pronoun indicating that the sentence is asking for information, an example of similar use would be the sentence "What will you eat for dinner?". "Is", a conjugated form of "to be", indicates the following phrase will represent the information being requested by the question; in this case "the point of any of this".

Having established that the answer to this question must be the information which could be said to be "the point of any of this", we must find the meaning of this objective phrase. "The" is the definite article, meaning the noun phrase it belongs to refers to a particular noun; "'The' point of any of this" would be different from "'a' point of any of this". "Point" is possibly the most complex word found in the question we seek to answer, as it has a multitude of meanings with often no relation to each other, and as such will be addressed later. "Of any of this" is a prepositional phrase with a second prepositional phrase nested inside of it; while its structure may be complex compared to the other phrases in the sentence, the meanings of "of" are related to such a degree that the phrase is fairly simple to analyze.

"This" can play the grammatical role of an adverb, a determiner, or a pronoun; however, the first two are easily eliminated in this context, as "this" cannot be modifying any other word in the sentence, as it would in use as a determiner (e.g. "get a load of 'this' asshole") or an adverb (e.g. "I can't handle food 'this' spicy"). As a pronoun, "this" indicates a specific thing or situation--one that must be fresh in the memory of the reader to have proper meaning. In this specific case, the most memorable situations would be the girl drawing shapes upon her paper and the subsequent ruination of said drawing. However, the context of "this" in the question points to another possibility.

The prepositional phrase, "of all of this", hints that it is not important what part of "this" we provide an answer in relation to. In questions, when used as a pronoun and followed by "of", it refers to a nonspecific part of the object of the prepositional phrase beginning with (in our case, the second) "of", without regard for which part is addressed; one part is as valid as another. It is possible, then, that "any of this" refers to anything at all, and the question could be rephrased to "What's the point of anything?"

"Point" can refer to a unit of measurement used in the realm of typefaces; for instance, I am currently typing this answer in a computer program called Notepad in 11-point font. While it is difficult to imagine this as the intended meaning of the word in the question, if we stretch the meaning a bit, one could imagine the question asking what size font "any of this" is written in. Equally unlikely, if not more so, is the word "point" in the question referring to a unit of score, as would determine a victory in one of many sports or other games, or else measure one's achievements. It is difficult to determine a meaning for "the point of any of this" in this context, unless perhaps one is asking which of one's actions would score a point.

A "point" can also be a place in space, or in geometry, with no dimensions. "The point of any of this", or "the point of anything", in this case, could be a point where one could locate anything, and could only refer to the singularity supposed by scientists to have existed before the astronomical event known as the "big bang" which resulted in the rapid expansion of that point, eventually leading to the universe as we know it. However, it is unclear why one would ask what the pre-big bang singularity is. Similarly, it can refer to a single moment in time,
but unless the girl is asking the time at which she was drawing or when the drawing was ruined, this leads to a meaningless question.

It can also refer to a pointed end or part of an object of any sort, as in the point of a sword or the end of a peninsula or other geographic feature such as the summit of a mountain. It is unclear what meaning the question would have in this context, as the girl isn't looking at her paper to see any pointed shapes drawn on it, nor the point of her pencil, nor any incidental point a part of the paper may have tapered to when it was crumpled. It can also refer to an aspect or area of a greater whole in contrast to the whole, such as in the sentences "Tact is not one of her strong points." and "There's this giant enemy crab, and you attack its weak point for massive damage." However, "the point" without any adjective or phrase modifying "point" does not lend itself to this particular meaning, as there is no contrast between "the point" and "any of this".

This leaves us with the most likely intended meaning of "point": a meaning or purpose, as in the sentence "You're not even reading this, so there's no point in me continuing to write it." (This sentence may or may not be the truth, in relation to this message as a role claim for a game of Mafia.) Were the girl asking "What's the point of this?" it would be likely she would be referring to the drawing she just ruined, but the inclusion of "any of" suggests a broader, perhaps more philosophical meaning to the phrase. The girl's question belies a deeper frustration than merely that with her ruined drawing if she is so deeply troubled as to ask for the meaning of "any of this" rather than merely "this"; likely, she is searching for meaning in her life, possibly even questioning whether or not there is any.

This question is one philosophers have striven to answer since the earliest civilizations, and for which a multitude of answers have been proposed. Even among the Ancient Greeks, several answers were derived, including attaining the highest form of knowledge, creating a great amount of happiness, living a life of virtue in harmony with nature, attaining tranquility and freedom from fear, freeing oneself from suffering through clear judgement, and likely several others less documented.

The philosophy of the Age of Enlightenment which dominated Europe during the 18th century provides further answers, but for the purposes of this role claim we'll ignore them for a couple reasons--first, I've written over a thousand words worth of quite frankly nothing already, and second, I don't even like Enlightenment philosophy. For instance, did you know one of the age's most influential philosophers, Immanuel Kant, rejected the idea that the consequences of an action were at all important to that action's moral value? I know! I know. It's ridiculous, isn't it? While the ridiculousness of Kant's Categorical Imperative, as he called it, may strike a chord with players in a game of Mafia, the real-life implications of his absolute morality are difficult to reconcile with reality. I really just want to get to Existentialism and Absurdism and be done with this, but we still have a whole century left to cover before that, don't we? Sigh!

In the 19th century, Jeremy Bentham proposed the Principle of Utility, which proposes that actions are good if they, overall, increase pleasure and reduce pain, and are bad if they do the opposite, with the meaning of life being the betterment of the world through the creation of pleasure and reduction of pain. Around the same time, nihilists suggested that there was no objective meaning to life, a grim prospect.

The discord between this lack of objective meaning in the universe and a person's inherent wish to find meaning gave rise to what philosophers call "absurdity", in this case referring to the specific dilemma which must be resolved. Philosophers such as Søren Kierkegaard and Albert Camus alleged there are three ways to resolve the condition of absurdity, though they disagreed as to the "correct" choice in the matter. The first method of resolving absurdity is suicide, which ends the dilemma by ending one's existence itself. I do believe we all would agree that this is not a viable answer; loath as I am to come so near to invoking the Categorical Imperative, were we all to choose this option, there would be nothing left.

The second option for coping with absurdity is to believe something exists beyond it, that something somewhere transcends the existence that we experience. Camus referred to this option as "philosophical suicide", as undesirable as plain suicide, while Kierkegaard and others refer to it as "religion". Kierkegaard, himself a Christian, considered this the righteous path toward freeing oneself from absurdity.

The final option, regarded by Camus as the correct one and by Kierkegaard as "demoniac madness", is to accept the Absurd and continue to live despite it, possibly even embracing it. This is similar to the Existentialist assertion that "existence precedes essence"; that is, before one exists, there can be no meaning to one's life, because one must make one's own meaning. There are many variations on what exactly this means, but the essence of Existentialism is that each person must create their own life's meaning for themselves.

Put simply, neither I nor anyone else can answer this question for this girl, who must find her own way. While this may seem a grim outlook to some, I would argue that it is in fact quite liberating; while one could say that the world is inherently meaningless, one could also say (and, in fact, I would say) that because of it, this girl is free to forge her own meaning, whatever she might want it to be. You do you, girlfriend. You do you."

Spoiler:
Rotations of asking various spheres questions. Ask question to the poster below. Publicly ask question to the host about things not related to the game that the host must answer. End sentences in question marks.

A shape named Entelechy says, "To be excellent to each other and diminish suffering in the world."

Spoiler:
Scope 1 ~ Grand
This is where so much is unknowable (at least currently unknown to humanity). Whether God(s) exist(s), whether consciousness is computational, whether math exists outside our own minds, whether meaning exists other than that which we imbue, are chains of signification ever anchored, can intelligence exist without consciousness, etc. The truth of any of these variables could drastically, drastically change the cosmic point of it all. Now, just because I black box these things doesn't mean everyone does, of course. A lot of people have stakes in these arguments. But what I like to do is play "existential worse case scenario," and go for a strict materialism with all meaning imbued and created through ungrounded chains of signification, and consciousness unlinked to intelligence. In such a case, without objective meaning and morality, the point is absolutely free to be created. So then to me it comes down to moderating the experience of suffering for myself and others. Now, simply obliterating suffering is no good, because if that were the case we should all just wire up the pleasure centers of our brain to bliss out for three days until we die of dehydration without suffering a jot. End of humanity, and everyone dies happy. So if I can coin a Law, like Asimov's three Laws of Robotics, it would be that Being is Preferable to Non-Being. Immediately following that, I would say that Non-Suffering is Preferable to Suffering, Except when it conflicts with the First Law. Already this diverges radically from many people's thought, since by these laws one should never put down a pet when its at the end of its life (and would always oppose euthanasia, which has been gaining more traction, recently).

And another exception comes to mind. There are many cases in which the Being of others or Non-suffering of others more valuable than one's own. Taken the strict, materialistic, imbued-meaning worldview, this would only be because to Be without that person also Being, or being in a State of Suffering, is great Suffering, suffering for which it would be better not to be than endure.

That is to say, many parents would chose the lives of their children over their own. Without any non-materialistic grounding, the answer would likely be A) to prevent their own suffering at the grief of the loss of their children (though no parent would think of it this way), and B) to ensure the survival of their genes, insofar as humans (and all living things) are just vectors for genes to propagate.

Either way, what it comes down to (I'm skipping a bunch of steps to reach this point, because it is ducking late), is that the point of it, then is to "be excellent to each other," to quote Bill and Tedd, diminish the suffering in the world (without causing non-being), and make it better for future generations. I think the aligns with a bunch of the other possible variables in the Black Boxes.

Spoiler:
Certain players are told of another player having a sad shape and others need to console them in thread, rotating each phase? Compliments to other posters. General expressions of care for other posters in some way.

A shape named Cthuluhoop says, "To find out if it is possible to cry underwater!"

Spoiler:
Crying or sad emotes in place of punctuation or in other instances within each post. Posts must be colored blue. Maybe players need to make their avatar or signature nautical or fish themed.

Intention

For some of these I had rough ideas of what I wanted to do, while others were more clear. Some would pulse across phases. Some would remain persistent effects, while others would be a one-off deal. I tried to vary the type of things modified to avoid too much double-up, but still have enough repeats that the same general funkiness would happen no matter what. I left it a bit open-ended so that way I could live-balance it, as in as effects rolled in I had several options in terms of what effects made the most sense given the others in play, so as to not make it too unfun. The taxes and nickname swaps were the main offenders, but they were intended to be a little annoying so I was okay with that. I also wanted to start the special effects off with a bang when there was only one. I tried to tone down on the effects over time to avoid overload.

The game was all vanilla to avoid situations in which I had no answer at rollover, plus to keep the game going by relatively quickly. I wanted it to last 1 - 2 weeks tops so that way players would not get too fatigued. The game was meant to just be totally silly and feel like an arts and crafts project. I had a list of all the things I'd modify, and the above effects cover the vast majority, plus what you saw in-game.

I decided not to restrict dead players from posting so they wouldn't miss out, as long as they didn't speculate, and I also did not really intend to hound players for being inactive since the game wasn't meant to be taken too seriously.

So in this regard, I came close to only making 3 mafia since I anticipated town would be a bit distracted by other things. But I didn't want to make mafia too few in case they just got blown out. Either way, I hope neither side was frustrated or didn't enjoy the silly aspects of the game. It was basically a community exercise in the shell of a mafia game, and I think it did well.

I thank you all for playing and I truly hope you had a good time with it.

I failed to deliver on a few promises due to other reasons, but regardless of that, I will be doing a finalized tally of stars by tomorrow evening. In the meanwhile, bonus points if you feel like indulging in any of the effects listed above that went unseen or unused.

The story will conclude such that it covers some of the missed days and shows you where I wanted to take the flavor with this game.

It's kind of cute, honestly. Basically, the thread asks, "What's the point of any of this?" And I hope the unsaid answer speaks of the friendliness of the community and why we play mafia.

The shapes are interesting.

Thanks for playing.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 45 of 46]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum