Cry Wolf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf is a brand new forum focused on the forum version of the deception game Mafia/Werewolves

Video Game UPick is over! Town Wins!
We now have a Discord Server!

You are not connected. Please login or register

distortion [THE END]

+21
drandahl
Rasei
katze
Kiyoko
She-Ra
Crypsis
Ardonye
chinomi
ezzelin
high seraph
angel★
Mr. Alice
T3tsuya
Tinylightsflash
alcasync
Ninfia
Tiki The Troll
Five
Mr. Gerbear
Cure
nautilus
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 29 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next

Go down  Message [Page 56 of 60]

826distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:43 pm

drandahl

drandahl

nautilus wrote:I actually had flavour prepared for this the entire time and then Sammie shot drandahl and then drandahl got REALLY CLOSE to guessing his name the second time and then veered off.

I can't believe I guessed "siblinghood" instead of "fraternity" for such a long time.

I can't believe I sat on my revive until the last moment, only to find there's a super special last phase.

But more than this, I can't believe how amazing this game was. A+ for creativity, A+++ for execution. Thanks for hosting. It's been a lot of fun, even after having died.

distortion [THE END] - Page 56 G2khzc10

Last edited by drandahl on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

827distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:46 pm

nautilus

nautilus

drandahl wrote:
nautilus wrote:I actually had flavour prepared for this the entire time and then Sammie shot drandahl and then drandahl got REALLY CLOSE to guessing his name the second time and then veered off.

I can't believe I guessed "siblinghood" instead of "fraternity" for such a long time.

I can't believe I sat on my revive until the last moment, only to find there's a super special last phase.

But more than this, I can't believe how amazing this game was. A+ for creativity, A+++ for execution. Thanks for hosting. It's been a lot of fun, even after having died.

[8/25/2016 8:05:25 PM] Mitsu: HE'S SO CLOSE BUT SO FAR
[8/25/2016 8:05:37 PM] Kiyoko: i googled to make sure siblinghood was even a real word

I'll also say this:

We (meaning myself and Kiyoko) decided that this game probably won't count for achievements, due to its nontraditional format. If anyone's curious, though, I have a rough list (otherwise known as not nicely bbcoded) of what personal achievements people would have gotten under the spoiler since we did keep track of achievements for most of the game:

Spoiler:

828distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:47 pm

Mr. Gerbear

Mr. Gerbear

That was an incredibly amazing reveal

Especially because I thought the hot fuzz ending was the actual legit ending and I was thinking holy shit they trolled us all

I guess we all learned our lesson. In the end, the real mafia was the friends we made along the way.

ETA: wait what I was actually mafia at some point for at least 4 phases??

829distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:04 pm

Tiki The Troll

Tiki The Troll

Well, after all of that, I'm very, very happy we had a happy ending. =D Actually, Alca, with her flavor, was perfect to fulfill that...I somehow doubt the text would have been as inspiring if my OCD loner had gotten the last say. XD

But yes, great flavor, great li'l RP moments for those who did it, and since I got attched to him, glad my guy is alive again, hehe.

(If anybody's curious, I RP'd most of my actions, and can post 'em up if anybody wants to read.)

And Eleni...you did still have at least one loyal customer who was distraught you were closed (and even more so when you were dead), heh.

830distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:11 pm

Rasei

Rasei

Thank you for this wonderful game. I would love to read through it sometimes like if it was a pick your own adventure. I knew that that the lady with umbrella would be important.

831distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:14 pm

nautilus

nautilus

Okay game mechanics time. The emails (actually, that entire rollover) make extremely vague reference to the game mechanics:

It’s hard, whenyou feel like you can’t trust anybody, no matter who they are or what they've gone through...

I've been checking out a lot of places and doing some research and I've uncovered some... not so great things, but ... monsters?

A copy of the book Dracula sat on the sofa, surrounded by cutlery

(I willingly admit that last one is really vague and requires context, though).

These were basically figured out near the end of the game, but long story short: the entire game had one mafia at any given time. There was a set initial mafia (Gerry) and if Gerry died, the mafia would jump to another player at random starting that phase. NKs were all RNG'd except for N0, which had no NK, and were all assumed to be counted as the first action after rollover. The NKs were RNG'd a phase before the night phase.

So the actual mafia in order were Gerry, Lucas, Mr. Alice, Ardonye, and alcasync. Each had a specific weapon or method of killing that would be their M.O. (Gerry = knives, Lucas = first aid kit, Mr. Alice = baton, Ardonye = rituals and a cursed sword, alcasync = break-ins). Each of these players actually counted as genuine mafia, for what it's worth, so the game was never at a point where it was like IKEA mafia - they would flip as mafia. Upon dying, they would revert back to their original alignment, which is why kills after revives are obscured in rollover.  

If mafia ever realized they were mafia at any point and submitted an NK, their NK would override the automatic RNG'd NK. The anti-town lantern was put into play partially because we were worried about people submitting actions while we were asleep, and also because it gives mafia, if they ever found out they were mafia, some firepower other than guns and mirrors in the game.

The lantern makes the phase after it is used between 1-4 hours long, where the length of the phase is completely randomized; because the NK is always the first action in, unless manually submitted, it would be impossible for anything to snipe the NK. It's the sole item that universally is anti-town, but given that there's like 3 first aid kits in this game I feel like one anti-town item is warranted.

The ratio was never hidden because of a role, but mostly to obscure the fact that the ratio perpetually had one mafia in it. However, we included some checks to prevent the game from getting too suspicious about repeated town lynches, if mafia was somehow cleared in early game:

• Any player that kills another indirectly or directly will have their alignment changed to mafia on death. Because guns are dangerous. It even says so in the flavour of the gun. But outside of "killing people makes you as bad as the killers", it establishes several other "set mafia" (Tet, Ninfia and tiny) that will flip maf if their abilities go through.
  • Gerry and alca were millers together.

Combined, assuming no one high noons, that would have been 1 + 5 hypothetical mafia, for a mafia of six individuals. The only genuine mafia of course would be the one submitting the NKs, but there would have been the illusion of a larger maf.

Some other housekeeping things:

• Messages did not affect abilities, but were affected by items. This was to make sure some roles weren't too OP (as mafia would not know they were maf, if chi was sent a message by mafia that was signed and received no other actions, she could immediately out maf), and some roles weren't constantly affected by shit (Ardonye's ability, had messages affected it, would have been super useless once she was revived because a lot of people messaged her and Ninfia would have rolled a chance to kill someone constantly); furthermore, it prevents the binoculars from being able to immediately out the NK sender since there's more confounding options in play.

I know some people said they were kind of useless because they saw messages, but they also see items and the NK being sent, and seeing three different targets (or two) would either mean the player had used an item or was the NK sender, since no one could message two people in one phase. In a traditional game, this would've allowed for fact checking item usage claims, too.

• The items were indeed, as Five said, aligned to each major role power: the shovel is a stunner that is dropped on an unsuspecting player, the bell is blessed with good vibes and determines alignment, the first aid kit and binoculars are self-explanatory. Death has a lot to do with memories, so the photograph (which has a terrible Nickelback reference) is the revive (though there's not very much it could have been, I suppose), the mirror was a reflect, and the lantern was explained earlier. And the gun was a gun.

• Everyone had a fairly weak passive so mafia could not be OP at any point, even if they found out they were mafia.

• Both alive and death flavour did involve ways to determine the true ratio of the thread, but no one ever fulfilled the conditions required to get either one. We have no plans of discussing these options further and would prefer to leave the plot of the game open to interpretation.

• Lighting candles in church would give you a set % chance of surviving the mafia NK while in the church, which increases for the more candles you light.

832distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:21 pm

Mr. Gerbear

Mr. Gerbear

This would make for a great legit video game seriously. I was that first mafia all along..............

Thank you for hosting, Kiyoko and Nautilus! I can't believe how deep this game is, seriously. Amazing job all around

833distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:23 pm

nautilus

nautilus

OH WAIT.

YEAH. I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT SOMETHING because it never came into play haha

The killing other people and making yourself mafia thing only applies to killing people who flip as town (i.e. innocents) -- if you killed mafia you'd keep your alignment as town.

Unfortunately, the only people who dragged down mafia or killed mafia were a player who already shows up as mafia (alcasync) or a player that later killed an innocent player anyways (Ninfia).

I think that's everything... other than that, the only roles that haven't been outed in-thread are Ardonye's (alignment dreamer), She-Ra (lynchproof), and deo (alignment not revealed upon death). If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!

834distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:33 pm

Tiki The Troll

Tiki The Troll

nautilus wrote:Unfortunately, the only people who dragged down mafia or killed mafia were a player who already shows up as mafia (alcasync) or a player that later killed an innocent player anyways (Ninfia).

DEEPLY FROWNS AT NINFIA

835distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:46 pm

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

Role PMs Part 1

high seraph:
chinomi:
Mr. Gerbear:
Ninfia:
drandahl:
Tiki The Troll:
Cure:
alcasync:
Mr. Alice:
Crypsis:
Five:

http://kiyokon.tumblr.com

836distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:48 pm

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

Role PMs Part 2

Rasei:
plotstickers:
Sammiya:
tinylightsflash:
ezzelin:
T3tsuya:
eleni:
Ardonye:
deo:
katze:
She-Ra:
angelstar:

http://kiyokon.tumblr.com

837distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:58 pm

nautilus

nautilus

But yeah, in short: I'm really glad so many people enjoyed the game! This is likely the last time I've ever be on Cry Wolf (unless Lucas puts up distorction), but I'm glad people enjoyed this game and that our months of flavour writeup weren't for naught, haha. ;w; It really means a lot to me that people enjoyed our game!

Stars, I guess, though not many:

alcasync
★★★★★
Alca was straight up the MVP of this game. She dissected that flavour so well and caught a lot of hints, intentional and unintentional in every rollover. Also she somehow ended up shooting Lucas on a whim (?!), and wanted to vote for Mr. Alice, the third maf after Lucas.

eleni
★★★
For being a master of death and also realizing that the chain of red eyes implied a different killer and possession. One of these stars is also a consolation star because I felt really bad about the name thing with eleni specifically, since she guessed for... so... long

We did actually nerf the name thing because had everyone been able to guess their name easily, we would've had a ton of revives and it would have been a mess, but the hint in that piece of flavour is two-fold: one, you get unlimited guesses, but two: the name is actually woven into the piece of flavour itself. Originally instances of the name would have been bolded in that flavour.

high seraph
★★★
Correctly guessing his name and also his cooperation helping the thread determine who in the game was last mafia.

Crypsis
★★
Stunning Gerry out of the blue on N2. Actually, for early game our joke was that alca/Crypsis were Hot Fuzz, with alca being Angel and Crypsis being Danny.

drandahl
★★
I loved his RP in his PMs, plus he also managed to guess his name right before game end. He didn't revive in time with it, though.

Tiki the Troll
★★
Good speculation and good RP in-thread! I loved your attempts at interpreting flavour too, haha

Ardonye

Seriously she had the best messages all game. No one sent messages better than Ardonye. They were unreal.

Kiyoko
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★✨

For being such an understanding and gracious cohost and dealing with my increasingly large pile of steaks that kept accumulating in the corner. Dude, she is so good at handling BBcode and PMs and writing flavour that I'd like to publicly put on my Ardonye hat and say that she is actually a T-1000 in disguise that has been reprogrammed to host mafia games and be incredibly nice to everyone. She handled my characters so well and dealt with my steaks and she was so good and A+ animal partner. She was super understanding too and she was just 100% great. The true face of this game honestly

Also:
- Serial killer book was taken out by Plot
- Camera was indeed Tiny's
- Footsteps were Tet's

Annnd: most roles were written without a set gender in mind so go wild on what gender you think your character is

Last edited by nautilus on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

838distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:58 pm

ezzelin

ezzelin

I dreamed that the entire "everyone was town" was a lie, that mafia won, and afterwards everyone who was mafia edited back their posted role pms and the part that says "Town" said "KILL KILL KILL" and had a neko atsume style cat next to it, and every post a mafia made in this thread (for the last several pages, at the very least) had a neko atsume style cat mod edited into it.

.........that aside, thank you hosrs for hosting! the flavour was really enjoyable to read, and the whole chose your adventure perspective of the game was quite fun.

839distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:07 pm

Tiki The Troll

Tiki The Troll

I got stars. Yay!
And we'll miss you, Mitsu. :(

840distortion [THE END] - Page 56 Empty Re: distortion [THE END] Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:14 pm

Ninfia

Ninfia
Admin

Tiki The Troll wrote:
nautilus wrote:Unfortunately, the only people who dragged down mafia or killed mafia were a player who already shows up as mafia (alcasync) or a player that later killed an innocent player anyways (Ninfia).

DEEPLY FROWNS AT NINFIA

looks away

http://www.ninfia.tumblr.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 56 of 60]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 29 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum