Cry Wolf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf is a brand new forum focused on the forum version of the deception game Mafia/Werewolves

Video Game UPick is over! Town Wins!
We now have a Discord Server!

You are not connected. Please login or register

End of the World As We Know It [UPick] [Mafia Wins]

+16
high seraph
eleni
angel★
Aeiou
deo
Ninfia
Five
Tinylightsflash
Mr. Gerbear
drandahl
ezzelin
katze
Sammiya
Tiki The Troll
Kiyoko
Luxaria
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 29 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

Go down  Message [Page 56 of 57]

katze

katze

:3c

I was mafia and still told the truth about my role

oops sorry lux i stole your pagetop

Last edited by katze on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luxaria

Luxaria

[End of the World As We Know It]
P O S T G A M E

Town and Neutral Roles

ezzelin
You are the hosr, in charge of this game (for better or worse) and also a Miku fangirl. You are neutral, as any good host should be.

What should a good hosr do? I don't know, you tell me! Better yet, why don't you show me?

To achieve your win condition, you must be an exemplary host and achieve 100 Host Points. These can be acquired in the following ways:
Neutrality:

Answering Questions:

Vote Tallies:

Balancing and Item Creation:

Miku Fangirl:

Once you achieve your win condition, the thread will only see "A win condition has been achieved." However, should you lose points and drop below the threshold, the win will be revoked until you meet the requirements again. Should you reach 150 points at any point in time, you will no longer be able to lose points and will be locked into your win.

Commentary:

Kiyoko
You are Blaire, a beautiful enigma. You are town.

As Blaire, you are always ready to sign up for games, even ones you're dead in. If Blaire should die, you may say "heck that" and submit a new upick role for her to use should she revive in any capacity. You will, of course, have no idea what this role is or does. You may continue to perform this function while dead. At no point may you supply submissions that mention player names, roles, or alignments, or anything that can be considered against the spirit of this ruling.

Additionally, as Blaire you will squint at anything that is at all probably not really suspicious, but buddy you never know it might be. I mean it is. All of them's suspicious huff. idk man, why is this even in the role? does anyone even know? the fishes don't, that's for sure.

Upon death, for each role you successfully submitted for Blaire previously, you will have another entry added to your alignment, randomized between the options of mafia, town, and neutral.
Commentary:

Mr. Alice
You have died. You are a (spooky) ghost. You are town.

Seeing as you are a ghost, you will not be an eligible target for any effects by another player. Each night phase, you may haunt and possess a player, redirecting any actions they might perform onto a target of your choice. You may not haunt the same player twice in a row. If you have any other role actions, instead of redirecting you may perform this action, though it will be viewed as originating from the possessed player.

Upon each day phase, since you still occupy your host you will be viewed as "Alive???". However, your host will reject you at the end of the phase, "killing" you.

You will reveal no alignment upon death under any circumstance, but while "Alive???" you will count as town. If lynched, you will experience true death and may no longer possess players.
Commentary:

Tiki the Troll
You are El Zorro, the suave and faux-Spanish dancer and detective. You are town.

El Zorro does not simply come to town's aid when called, oh, no no no. El Zorro may only arrive in town's most desperate hour, when they need him, a hero, the one clad in cape and enough dashing charm to drown any fine person with one sultry look--ah, yes, El Zorro!

Each night, you may begin helping--no! Improvising town's defenses by getting up and personal with some good lookin' lucky player. You will receive--a result! Town, mafia, neutral--what is the difference to El Zorro? We are dancing, now, you see? El Zorro will come to understand all this later, later, dancing now.

Once El Zorro has danced with four players, he must out himself to the thread, donning his true persona (and account) while casting aside his previous one. He may no longer dance with new players, but instead on the first phase while outed he will be told the sanities he had each night, but not in order. Additionally, he will gain the ability to force a lynch vote to be between himself and one of the players he has previously danced with, but he will start with one additional vote from the Cat Mask. When the game ends, he will be told the true alignments of all players he previously investigated. You see? El Zorro know this and know he will find what he needs in the end.
Commentary:

eleni
You are Melba, a sweet and perfectly normal koala. You are town.

Melba is a good neighbor and cares a lot about those around her. Isn't she cute? Each night she can perform one of two actions.

The first action allows her to invite a guest over to her house every other night, where she will engage them in a polite and very delicate chat over dinner and cake. During this visit, she will inform the target that she is, in fact, of town alignment! She will also receive a flavorful hint of this player's role.

The second action allows her to take a moonlit stroll around town and follow a target of her choice, if they are out that night. She will learn if this player leaves her during the stroll and heads off to target another player, though she will not know what action this player performed.
Commentary:

drandahl
You are AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. You are town.
AAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Each night you may AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA  AAAAAA another player of your choice and make it so their actions are AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA and any incoming actions are AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. They will receive a message of AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAA
AA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAA
Once in the game after Night 3 at night you may instead AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, making the next rollover be AAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AA AAAAAA AAAAAAAAAA. You can view edit history and see AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA about the players that AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAA
Commentary:

Mr. Gerbear
You are Higgs Boson, centrally important. You are town.

As a carrier force across the universe, if you are ever lynched, the following night phase will be skipped as the universe attempts to adjust to your vanished presence. However, certain parties in the universe with enough clout have other intentions, and under a specific condition this role effect can be negated. Should this happen, your role ability will be modified such that each night you may target a player and prevent one killing effect from interacting with its recipient, protecting them. Once you have successfully protected one player from a kill, you will lose this power. You may not target yourself.

Additionally, each night you may target another player and carry any actions they may have received to another target of your choice. You may not name the same two targets on consecutive nights, nor may you target yourself.
Commentary:

Sammiya
You are Parker, a master thief. You are town, surprisingly.

With your deft fingers and clever hands, you are able to get near any player and take from them with ease. Each night, you may target a player and attempt to steal whatever is on their person, roleblocking them on the following night phase. A simplified, one-use copy of their role will be given to you, as well as up to one item in their possession if they have any.

However, seeing as you don't get along well with others, for the rest of the game their votes against you will be worth one more vote for each time you have stolen from them. You may only perform one action each night.
Commentary:

high seraph
You are a psyduck thinking about a shoelace. You are confused and also town.

On Night 0, you will be stunned as you attempt to overcome your headache as you think about a shoelace and all of its complexities. For every night phase after that, you will have a stacking 33% chance to be stunned on any given night. Starting on Day 2, and continuing every other day after, you must release some of the psychic energies in your head and use confusion on up to two targets you have not already confused. These players will be unable to think clearly about anything for the rest of the phase, receiving a flavor message stating as much. Should they target you with a non-killing effect on any night for the rest of the game, it will be redirected to another target instead, excluding themself. If you do not choose targets to confuse, they will be randomized.

After N4, once during the game at night you may choose to run around chanting "PSY! PSY! PSY! PSY!" frantically, finally feeling a deeper connection to the shoelace and needing to tell others. You will bump into every player, redirecting their actions to you if they would perform any. Additionally, you will gain protection from one killing effect until the end of phase. This ability will not counteract any confused status effects currently in play.
Commentary:

Rasei
You are Shiro from Voltron, a powerful and exceedingly capable leader. You are town.

As Shiro, your tenacity and strength are near unrivalled, supported by your Galra prosthetic arm that is as much blessing as it is a curse. With your strength, you have a one-use bulletproof and will shrug off the first killing action used on you. But this arm is a cruel reminder of your past, and, worse, makes you feel unfit for command. Thus any non-killing actions against you during any night phase will cause PTSD and weaken your resolve, temporarily reducing your bulletproof to a bleeder effect until the end of the next night phase. While suffering PTSD, your death will be staggered by one phase, and any additional actions on you will not count towards prolonging your PTSD.

Additionally, as a leader you are ever capable of commanding your companions. Each day phase, you will be able to decide whether to utilize "Disruptive", "Recon", or "Protective" unit combative procedures. Once chosen, you may then select a target of your choosing. Your choice of action and target will then be forwarded to a player with the appropriate role, chosen at random. If the command is obeyed, your leadership will have been acknowledged, and your vote will be worth an additional vote the following day phase. If the command is ignored, you will trigger PTSD. In either case, you will be told the name of the player you ordered.
Commentary:

deo
You are that feeling of crushing defeat that you feel when you're really looking forward to eating something but you open the fridge and its not there and you find out someone else ate it. You are town.
Commentary:

Aeiou
You are "SEAGULLS! (Stop It Now)" -- A Bad Lip Reading of The Empire Strikes Back, and you are groovy. You are town.

You are rockin', and rollin', down on the beach you're strollin', but the blockers, stop your roles not fun. You say, "blockers, stop it now!" But the blockers gonna come. Poke you in the coconut. And they did--and they did.

So now, blockers. Let me grab my beater. Show you who's the psycho weiner. Don't fall asleep.

Whenever you are targeted with an action that would block your role during the night, you instead have a 50% chance to stun the sender in return. Once triggered, this will not activate again until after one night phase has passed.

Additionally, every night you can hop on another player like a backpack, staying with them throughout the night. You will learn if any actions were performed by or on your target, but not what they were or the other players involved.
Commentary:

Last edited by Luxaria on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

Mr. Alice

Mr. Alice

how did this game not take lux half a year to make jesus christ

chants for closing thoughts

ezzelin

ezzelin

I couldn't say anything, but I got my win condition the phase when the entire rollover was AAAAAAAAAAAAA. (I could still lose it though, because of the mechanism, so I couldn't confirm or anything.)

and can I just say I'm really disappointed no one ever asked "why is ezz doing the vote tallies"

katze

katze

I thought you just wanted to be nice and do the vote tallies.

Mr. Alice

Mr. Alice

katze....Q A Q.....that is so pure.......

Rasei

Rasei

I got to say, I love Aeiou's song

Mr. Alice

Mr. Alice

i love aeiou

Luxaria

Luxaria

I listened to that song on repeat for at least a day or two.

Aeiou

Aeiou

Ahh I had a lot of fun. Lux is so clever with roles! And yeah Ezz I just figured you were being nice and helpful haha

Im glad people enjoy the song, when I first heard it me and my friends couldnt stop singing it and I know there was a point in my life where I spaced out in the shower and thought about it and had a fuckign laughing fit. About yoda singing.

I love you too blaire ;0;

I actually had a sinking suspicion that Five was maf convert because she signed onto skype randomly haha but I didnt want to put to much stock into something off thread like that! Im also mad because I was pretty convinced originally that Katze was mafia but then the role made me think town and I convinced myself otherwise haha. Im awful at this

Mr. Alice

Mr. Alice

aeiou is a good small furry friend

actually no, i headcanon aeiou as being half a person's height

Mr. Gerbear

Mr. Gerbear

i would like to say that this game was very interesting to watch. i was intrigued. so much.

thanks for the game, lux!! <3

high seraph

high seraph

I think I probably literally voted Five once every phase that I lived, but nobody listens to me!!! >:(

Tbh the moment Five survived a lynch I was like "ok no chance she's not mafia by this point", but I also didn't push it because I was afraid it'd backfire on my face because I was tunneling them so much. Also I didnt want to die because I NEEDED TO SURVIVE FOR 52 PHASES IN ORDER TO USE MY ROLE TO ITS FULL EXTENT lux why do u hate me ;A;)/

I'm jk, I enjoyed my role a lot, even tho I do agree it might have needed some more tweaking. Also I screamed PSY PSY PSY on the wrong phase and nobody thought anything of it, which was pretty hilarious on my end. ALSO I GOT FEASTED ON AND IT WAS MARVELOUS?!?!?!? This game was cool, I had a blast. :-) thanks for hosting, Luxxx!!!!!

Also, in case you tl;dr'd through my role: I was a psyduck thinking about a shoelace. Yep, I was the shoelace person. But the shoelace never did much other than give me a migraine......

Luxaria

Luxaria

[End of the World As We Know It]
P O S T G A M E

And I feel fine...

Okay, I intended to do post-game thoughts. This is me now doing post-game thoughts. I'll keep this shorter than my past few and hit on a few topics I paid attention to during the game.

The Roles
So this game and my past game, which was also a upick, have shown that I enjoy trying to craft new things from several different traditional roles for the sake of creating something to capture the spirit or concept of a submission. Sometimes this doesn't quite hit the mark, and I apologize for any instance of this. I tried to work in lessons learned from my past two main games, which I think did ultimately help this one's mechanics. Naturally, I have my own trends in design, and so...

Stuns, jails, and other controlling effects
I like hiding failed or protected NKs, which means adding more jails and stuns. I also tend to like jails over regular doctors to make a protection more apparent, with other hidden protective effects too. I also like having conditional and multiple methods of control, which necessitates some roles that still offer results/functionality in spite of this.

So, this game started with a lot, lot of controlling effects, which many considered ridiculous. It's true at that point it gets hard to effectively speculate over the nature of these, however I noticed "Well these people could not have sent in a kill" wasn't actively discussed beyond D1 and sort of D2, and I was surprised the drop in quantity of stuns and jails didn't receive much comment that I remember. Those actually dropped off a lot faster than I expected, which was interesting. This game was a bit of an extreme of what I'd allow for such effects. My ideal is closer to my last two main games. I'm still not sure about showing protected NKs, though, which brings me to...

Information from more traditional roles
One thing I actively try to avoid is easy role claims--or at the least, I make a few town roles seem scummy at a glance, and a few mafia roles seem pro-town at a glance. This is to make the role claim game less definitive than pure discussion and analysis. Not showing protected NKs falls roughly into this because I like the ambiguity and what it means for discussion. "Did the stun block it?" "Did the jail protect it?" "Are we being bluffed?"

However, I realize there are a few things that are lost with this general approach. First is the loss of, "This person is probably town if they were protected." It also removes some of the WIFOM strategy of, "[the mafia] have protective effects. Let's NK ourselves." Additionally, with some less straight-forward roles and less obvious role claims, I've wondered if it lowers the overall power of town.

Whatever the case, this has made me consider whether or not I made things too tricky. For instance, this game had a few town roles that were a little obscured in functionality (deo, drandahl, Kiyoko). This was in part to follow the spirit of their submissions, and I tried to account for this. And then there were the less obvious role claims, which are typically useful for certain town strategies and clears. That doesn't tend to happen in my games since they are unsupported. But this not to take away from the mafia victory since I do believe mafia ultimately won through discussion and convincing lies.

Other missing things
In the future, I'd like to include more killing and messaging effects. I'd also like to explore even more forms of information (I tend to favor role/flavor cop and tracker). I keep trying to work in a few voting roles, but I don't want to make it an arms race that gets swingy, so I think things like Rasei's conditional double-vote is overall fine.

Killing effects fall by the wayside most of the time since I do not feel comfortable adding more than one. I worry over dramatic swings, and I try to limit this to some extent while hopefully rewarding good play and strategies. But sometimes a swing is actually useful and necessary to keep the game from entering "Okay now we just sit here doing the same NK + Lynch cycle until one side wins." So, yeah.

Synergy also loosely went away this game. Instead, I favored redundancy. Making a number of roles fulfill similar goals of information and negation means that losing one such role doesn't dramatically wipe out all of a certain type from the game. But this is also necessary for certain roles, so I try to keep it measured fairly. Mafia had a few synergy effects that never got used. I don't think town had any. Maybe I should consider such things. I like certain co-dependencies like Kiyoko + Blaire, and Rasei + Everyone because it does not automatically suggest an alignment and allows for interesting results derived from playstyles.

But redundancy leads to potentially weaker roles that still need to contribute. In this way, I worried the game grew stale near the end as town ran thin on actions, and mafia weren't sending in some. This might be typical of a longer game with many dead players, but I do worry if there was a design mistake. Most living town still had some form of action/results, so it was probably fine(?).

You saying "This will be short" is always code for "I'm about to be too lux; didn't read"
So anyway, my main takeaways from this game were that I want to try working in more traditional roles and forms of information, and I want to utilize killing and messaging effects. I also want to get a bit better at designing every upick role to fit their submission in a fun way. I covered most of my thoughts on the neutral role in the role commentary, but I conceptually like neutrals and want to make more of them and hopefully make them more involved in discussion. I want neutral pairs, too.

I also had an internal debate on if I focus too much of the effective power granted by discussion (read: balancing roles around the +1 to town's power when information is shared) or if I should ignore that, but I think if discussion and commentary aren't made, then they aren't made and that's that.

Final role comment: I want to better handle X-use roles, since I think I staggered them not as well as I could have. Short version: I tried to account for a lot of permutations related to Ninfia, Blaire, Five, and Gerry.

Closing thoughts
I was proud of my players and their ideas and theories. I had some thoughts that in this game, town needed more initiative to follow-up on the mentions of "There's some information a page or two back, but...", which then would fall by the wayside. I think town was pretty good about identifying which players to trust or distrust, but ultimately didn't form up in the necessary time. For mafia, well you did the thing, so. I would say this is a good example of how even when mafia feels like they're behind, it's not always true.

I hope the roles and gameplay were both fun, and I also hope it felt like there was adequate information to work with for town, and adequate counter-attack for mafia. From my commentary above, as well as a reflection upon the game, I am open to any feedback in terms of how the game felt and handled, likes and dislikes, and so on.

I've mostly figured out how I want to handle stars, but I'll save that for when I calculate trophies, which will come tomorrow. I apologize for being slow; I wanted a break yesterday.

Official tl;dr: I am the best anime.
I have no idea if anyone ever gets anything out of these post-game rambles I like doing.

ezzelin

ezzelin

Luxaria wrote:I have no idea if anyone ever gets anything out of these post-game rambles I like doing.
I like reading these, it's like an insight into the luxhosr's mind and thinking. (And since I've been minilux this game, that is very relevant information o v o)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 56 of 57]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 29 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum