Cry Wolf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf is a brand new forum focused on the forum version of the deception game Mafia/Werewolves

Video Game UPick is over! Town Wins!
We now have a Discord Server!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Practice Makes Perfect ✎ improving together

+4
AliceofOz
nautilus
Ninfia
Kiyoko
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Ninfia

Ninfia
Admin

casually throws this nonsense at the thread. it was SO hard to do this on my tablet. free hand would have been so much easlier.

Practice Makes Perfect ✎ improving together - Page 2 UDcSk1O

http://www.ninfia.tumblr.com

nautilus

nautilus

What the heck, everyone's lines are so neat, while mine are just kind of bleh. I have really shaky hands though so I'm really reliant on line tools and such to ensure that my lines don't go all over the place. I've also been suffering from on and off hand strain for most of this year, so.

That being said, I did a bunch of Take Fives with the sole intention of knocking out the one head assignment, but upon a quick reread it seems like the head assignment involves a single character from multiple angles, and I took requests of varied characters. Foiled again... !

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

Ninfia, I love your mugshots! Tell me all about your OCs I want to learn everything.

Also! With both digital and traditional, my trick for straight lines is to go fast so that my hand doesn't have time to wobble. Once you get the hang of that, the hard part is getting the line to start and stop where you want it to. But at least it's all muscle memory so if you just draw lines over and over and over again you'll get better.

http://kiyokon.tumblr.com

AliceofOz

AliceofOz

*sent skype message with email*

So I drew Kiyoko for nautilus's thing but omg I was not used to not blending. I wasn't sure if airbrush was allowed either (tbh it wouldn't look good on this I think). So here it is. AM I DOING IT RIGHT? I DON'T EVEN KNOW?
Practice Makes Perfect ✎ improving together - Page 2 4Xbgraq

And uhh...I did the lines. I can't draw straight lines no matter how fast my strokes are. It's in my DNA. I rely too much on line tools.

Practice Makes Perfect ✎ improving together - Page 2 6IQWSY1

This post has terrible colors. I need to draw something brighter like wow

Ninfia

Ninfia
Admin

Alice! your portrait is lovely!

and re: lines: I realized that my stabilization was set to 0 which was PROBABLY by I was having such a hard time, because on my old computer I think I usually had it set to 5. I was also trying to figure out if pulling the lines towards me or pushing them away from me worked better and I now! don't remember! which worked! oops!

in any case

OC information:

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

I... don't have stabilization I just spend billions of hours practicing straight lines for work and art stuff. What is this fancy stabilization you people are speaking of. For me, pulling lines towards me works better for straight lines and pushing it away works better for curves?

@Alice That portrait looks amazing and your style is the cutest ever and I've always liked your art. I'M ALSO SUPER HONORED TO BE THE SUBJECT OF YOUR PORTRAIT? I think you did a great job with the colors.

@Ninfia You have to talk about Dale now since he's in so much of that art you posted. I really like what I'm hearing about your characters so far. They all seem so well-rounded. Let me go make a billion assignments to force people to share info about their OCs.

Ninfia

Ninfia
Admin

you're incredible, Kiyo. @___@

also *slams 50 000 pages of notes on characters onto the table as stares u all down* yes.

over hill and Dale:

I'm always into yelling about my characters.

drandahl

drandahl

Well here's a start...

Straight Lines Are Actually Really Hard (in pen and in x-acto)

I'm liking some of the other updates in this thread. Excited to see more!

nautilus

nautilus

Oooh, Alice, that looks really good! :> When I did the multiple versions of Take 5, I both painted and did cell shading (though I did stretch the palette slightly by using blending modes and what not on all of my pictures). It's actually pretty difficult to pull off without blending, haha.

drandahl, the x-acto version of straight lines looks so cool! :> Do you do any papercrafts, out of curiosity?

... I have a lot of anxieties w/ sharing my art publicly, but I'll make an effort to post more things in this thread.

Mr. Alice

Mr. Alice

I wanna see your stuff, naut, let me seeeeeeee

Kiyoko

Kiyoko
Admin

@Ninfia: Ooh! Sorry for misgendering! But wow what an awesome character. Busking! I walk by a lot of street performers every day and always wonder what their stories are; I think busking is a really cool occupation. Does Dale speak Spanish? If so, do they perform in Spanish too? *^*

@everyone who did the straight line assignment. I get the feeling that this is one of those assignments where you go into it thinking "Yeah this'll be easy" and then about five lines in you're like "I regret everything." Because that's how it was for me. My lines are pretty straight already but for people who think their lines are too wobbly, it'd be really neat to practice straight lines and then do another one as a before/after comparison kind of thing.

@nautilus: I still get kind of antsy over posting my more personal art (like certain OC art) but I'm generally okay posting things like figure drawings or studies where I don't really put as much of myself into them. Not sure if that's an approach that might work for you but! You could maybe try experimenting with posting a few things you're more comfortable sharing and keeping the rest to yourself for now. You don't need to YOLO and dive straight in. :>

Ninfia

Ninfia
Admin

it's no problem Kiyo ^u^ it happens. and I think so too, re:busking! Dale can in fact speak Spanish and sometimes sings songs in that, but they mostly sing in English. :D once Dale and Nora become friends, they occasionally both lapse into Spanish and Levi gets vaguely grumpy about it because they talk so fast he can't keep up. Nora herself is Mexican, so. Levi knows a little Spanish through exposure but is not super fluent.

*trembles and backs out because wow I'm just rambling in thread lol.

Also I did very much go "ha this should be easy-- wow no no i was so wrong" with that straight lines assignment omg. my plan for the next thing I'm gonna do is the colour palette one!

AliceofOz

AliceofOz

Oooh thanks for the compliments guys!

I'm really impressed with the artistic talent in this thread and am looking forward to seeing more! ouo

@Ninfia, I love your OCs and your coloring is gorgeous like wow. *.* So cheerful!
This makes me want to focus more on my own OCs. Poor things have been neglected for too long.

I've noticed that a lot of assignments include animals, which is something I RAAAARELY draw. I'm not used to four-legged, furry things. ;w; But um this thread is really fun and you guys are great so I'll do my best!

That said I'd like some advice for drawing animals thanks. Lay it on me!

Also @Kiyoko I knew from the start that I was doomed for that line assignment.
And asdfkjfad glad you liked my portrait thing I love your art more

Luxaria

Luxaria

I guess... I'll post this. I can't get a good shot right this moment since I only have one dim lamp. Maybe I'll take a better one tomorrow. I need a better work space than drawing everything in my lap, though. ;w;

Straight Line Challenge:

Ninfia

Ninfia
Admin

I finally stopped dragging my bottom and tried the Human-Background Interfaces challenge!

I was far too lazy to colour it, and the perspective makes no sense, but I tried.

Yehaw:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum