Cry Wolf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf is a brand new forum focused on the forum version of the deception game Mafia/Werewolves

Video Game UPick is over! Town Wins!
We now have a Discord Server!

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!]

+11
Tinylightsflash
drandahl
Rasei
katagi
Tiki The Troll
She-Ra
high seraph
Luxaria
Five
ezzelin
Ninfia
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20 ... 34  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 34]

91A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:12 pm

Luxaria

Luxaria

Warning: Lengthy description of various roles in mafia for the sake of those curious. Hopefully I'm not too wrong on most of these...

She-Ra wrote:quick question about what a roulette is? like a random stunner?

Unless there are two town stuns or since rasei said they tried to act on Lux and nothing happened to Lux maybe that backfired?? But I think that is what a "bus" is and Hayley recently ranted at me for like twenty minutes about how she hates those so =/

Aeiou mostly answered it, but.

From what I remember, roulette typically means a role that gets a different ability each night, like was said, whereas something similar would be the Jack-of-all-Trades that has a list of role powers they can use each night, with each role power usually being one- or two-use or having conditions. So for example, the difference between these two similar roles might be:

N0: Roulette has the option to stun and stuns a target.
N0: Jack-of-all-Trades (JOAT) can choose to either stun, jail, protect, or investigate, and chooses to stun a target.
N0: Stunner has stun as their role and stuns a target.

N1: Roulette has the option to jail and jails a target.
N1: Jack-of-all-Trades can choose to either jail, protect, or investigate, and chooses to investigate a target.
N1: Stunner has stun as their role and stuns a target.

And lots of other variations on this and more defined roles in general, like an inventor-ish role that can gift role powers to other players (usually kind of similar to jack-of-all-trades in role power options), or a role copy that can gain a use of the role or roles of their target. In the case of inventor, it's similar to the commonly described "boosts" which target a player and usually either make their role better or add to it, except in this case the inventor is usually delivering either an item that has a role power (like Katagi in Cardcaptor, though that's typically called a gunsmith since it gifts vigilante kills), or an actual role power that is either limitless or limited in use, depending on mechanics.

A bus, however, functions differently from what you describe. It was the role both myself and Hayley had last game. A bus driver (bus, driver, etc.) lets you pick two players and make it so actions that would affect one hits the other, but actions they perform are unimpeded. It's similar to an active redirect, which targets one player and makes their actions go to a different target, but no one else's. A reflect (in this case, a passive reflect) or retribution role is more like what you describe.

1. Bus driver chooses Player A and Player B. Player C then stuns Player B, which instead gets "driven" to Player A, while Player D's investigation on Player A gets "driven" to Player B instead.

2. Redirect chooses that Player C's actions will be sent to Player A. Player C attempts to stun Player B, but gets redirected to Player A. Player D attempts to investigate Player A and receives a result on Player A.

3. Player C attempts to stun Player A, who is a reflect. Player C ends up stunned instead of Player A.

4. Player D attempts to investigate Player A, who is a retribution. Player A is investigated and performs some action on Player D, like a stun or jail.

A common retribution is also a "bomb" role, which is where when you are hit with a kill (be it via lynch or night kill), you take down the killer with you (in the case of lynch, usually the last person to vote on you). There are also roles like "paranoid gun owner" and similar which will just indiscriminately kill people acting on them during the night, or like Lucas' role in Symphonic Mafia where if his target visits him, they will die (though this is more of an active than a passive, like most retributions tend to be; some retributions are tied to activations, as in you have to choose when to trigger it, and then while it's activated/triggered it will take effect).

Also, some reflects can be designed to be passive redirects, basically, that just send role actions back to the sender as if the owner of the passive reflect were the one using it. There's a whole lot of variation in mechanics and designs and many twists on the formula and concept of roles. However, what Lucas and I referred to is the Bus Driver role I outlined in the first option just now. Hayley hates that role and often talks about how it will never appear in her games.

Information overload? I hope this helps and wasn't too much or... oh my god why do I do this. Aaaaaaah. For the record, I don't see roulette and many retribution-esque roles often.

What do we do about this vote, anyway.

Last edited by Luxaria on Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

92A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:15 pm

ezzelin

ezzelin

I won't vote: myself, rasei, tiny or aeiou based on rollover. I also won't vote five based on their previous remark, at least until we hear what she has to say.

I'd be okay with lynching anyone else pretty much, though primarily either sammie or katagi based on gut feeling, and katagi partially bc she posted about being busy but didn't address my question at all.

I really don't want to no lynch :/ we're in a super safe position, given there was no NK.

93A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:31 pm

She-Ra

She-Ra

ty lux!!

Some of that I think I knew from learning it in previous games, but I keep learning and forgetting how things work... oop. So yeah I guess what I asking about is a reflect, for some reason I thought that was one of the categories of "bus" (you kids and yr hip lingo). But thank you! I think I'm getting the gist of it. Good thing this game is perfectly average so we can count on the roles not having any strange variations and twists to them, right? Right??? heh.

hayley why did you bring me here.

94A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:35 pm

Luxaria

Luxaria

This link will have most of the roles you'll ever see. Also good for describing how they're balanced and intended to work, and what they provide for their teams and whatnot, and usual priorities in terms of night action priority.

I think you're doing fine, also.

hayley brought you here because she loves you.
and she's a little shit.

95A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:43 pm

She-Ra

She-Ra

yes I've been reading that actually! And then you know, forgetting how things work and asking dumb questions anyway ^^;

96A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:07 pm

Luxaria

Luxaria

Hmm.

So there's a few questions for and about various players floating about that have gone unanswered.

I want to say in addition to the four in the rollover that several have mentioned, I tentatively wouldn't want to vote drandahl or Sammiya because it's Sammiya's first game after a while, and drandahl hasn't played many in the past few months. But I've been burnt while doing that before when one of those types was a mafia, so I'm apprehensive, but this game shouldn't end on N1/D2 right... That'd be below average.

Everyone's posted, sooo. From what I see, Rasei left her comment about targeting me, while Tiki said one cryptic thing, and Tiny just said they'd be reading posts. The few standing questions relate to Five, Katagi, and sort of Rasei, and I know Aeiou had one towards the host, and I'd like to see more discussion and answers to these.

Since we're two hours from rollover, right now I'd be most willing to vote on Tiki, Lucas, She-ra, and possibly Rasei, Katagi, with ezz as a more distant option. Excluding the four from rollover, and Five purely because I am intrigued by her comments. Sammiya and drandahl for now just to not off them right away, but if the lynch swings on them I have no reserves.

After last game, I feel like Tiki might be taking a bit of a cool-off in terms of activity, and I'm not sure how this relates to a hypothetical Maf!Tiki if he'd just ask for a replacement or make more of an attempt to show up. So as such his low presence is intriguing, and I'd almost want to lynch him just to offer him an out if he's not feeling up to it (sorry if this is a bit personally revealing). Lucas has been pretty present and talkative so arguably I'd rather keep him around than lynch him out. Lucas has voted for She-Ra and I have nothing against that lynch, despite how two-faced it feels tossing her a lot of explanations, oops.

Hmm. I know Rasei is typically busy, and I am curious if she plans to elaborate upon her comment or not.

I'm not really feeling no lynch, but I also don't want to double-up on She-Ra when there's literally only one other vote out and makes it easier for people to just follow that rather than try and pick (as far as picking goes D1).

So I guess between all of them, I'll do Vote: Tiki the Troll as a tentative vote, but I'll be monitoring this until rollover, so.

Tl;dr: Voting Tiki solely because I don't really want to lynch players mentioned in rollover, players that have unaswered questions tied to them, players that have been contributing, and players that are new or returning. Which basically leaves Tiki, She-Ra, and sort of Rasei and Katagi to varying degrees. Choosing Tiki just because Lucas already voted She-Ra.

97A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:14 pm

Five

Five

Hello, sorry! I am honestly feeling so out of it today and have been checking for Symphonic Mafia achievements and the like so at the point I am kind of checked out.

I can't say much, but I do want to say that I think it probably behooves us to claim our targets when they have certain effects on the game. For instance, I think if someone acted on Aeiou last night and thinks they did something important then they should probably say they did it.

I could be entirely off-base with this, but I'm wondering if anyone has come to a similar conclusion. Trust me, if I could reveal why I think this is a good idea, I would do it, but... it's just not something I can do right now, and probably won't be able to until the game is over.

I'm still backreading, just saying what I said I would first. I'll see if anything else sticks out to me. Sorry I'm kind of checked out today!

98A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:34 pm

Five

Five

I would really like to not lynch Tiki today. I'm not set on him as town, but I don't think he's a good lynch.

99A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:36 pm

She-Ra

She-Ra

I am going out and don't yet know who I want to vote =/ so vote: no lynch in case I'm not able to check back.

100A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Luxaria

Luxaria

Is this related to meta or any number of other things? Or would you rather not specify? I am willing to swap off of him, especially for my own reasons I highlighted last post. Just doing probing votes out of curiosity since we're...

not really getting any other votes.

101A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:48 pm

Five

Five

I am inclined to think Tiki is probably town for now! Not for any sort of meta-related reasons or anything. It's sort of the same reason that I think we should not employ a perfectly average strategy for this game. More importantly, Luxxxie, I am curious what you think about general strategies for this game; would you agree that we should probably out actions that have a notable effect on the game?

102A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Sammiya

Sammiya
Admin

I'm not sure we can/should claim who we acted on since it might hint towards our role powers, kind of. I mean, we know at least two people acted on Aeiou last night. If one of them claimed, we would know who a doctor was, potentially. Even if all of them claimed/more then one action was taken (like someone bused Aeiou with someone else), it still makes it a bit easier to deduce role powers. With the no claiming rule in place, it feels like to me we'd be circumventing that particular rule, to a extent. So I'm not particularly comfortable with it in this particular game myself.

I'll probably vote for one of the people Lux listed, but I'm hesitant to be a tie breaker all the same.

https://crywolf.rpg-board.net

103A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Ninfia

Ninfia
Admin

Someone plz vote tally I'm still with my family

http://www.ninfia.tumblr.com

104A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:09 pm

Luxaria

Luxaria

I've been debating over that thought, actually. First off: I want to see if Hayley has any requirements or comments on the context and nature of how we might claim acting on a target, because that influences a bit of my understanding of both how we go about this as well as the circumstances and utility of your request.

I do think I see what you are getting at, though. I also realize without claiming targets we will have very little explicit information beyond what rollover provides us with. So, that said, in a way claiming targets does provide us with something that is a bit vague while being non-discrete. There's the obvious problem of arming mafia with a more implicit understanding of which player has what. This is the age-old problem of claiming, actually: It heavily vets players as probably one alignment (* not necessarily due to role, but both the role, how it's used, and the circumstances, etc.) while arming both alignments with knowledge, which can then be manipulated and planned around. So giving the mafia more information has its ups and downs considering the upside is town has more to work with.

Either way, honestly? Waiting on Hayley. But otherwise, I'm... Of two minds on the issue, as you can see. This reminds me a bit of Practice Match mafia (also hosted by Hayley) where calling targets out might help us weed out some liars and discern what each player's intentions are based upon their targets.

This all said, I'm sure various numbers of target claims will come out one way or another.

If I could ask you one thing however: If someone is a doctor role and claims they acted on a certain target that ended up protected, what would you advise that role to do? Same goes for investigative if they act on someone we lynch and they flip mafia (roughly tied to Aeiou's question at the host). I guess I am just curious if you think it is safe for these power roles to rely on the hope that the obscurity of everyone claiming targets will shield them, but...

105A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] - Page 7 Empty Re: A Perfectly Average Game [Mafia Win!] Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:13 pm

nautilus

nautilus

the most plain vote tally ever

Tiki the Troll I
She-Ra I
no lynch II

ezzelin vs
Five vs
Luxaria vs Sammiya Tiki The Troll
High Seraph vs She-Ra
She-Ra vs no lynch
Tiki The Troll vs
Katagi vs
Rasei vs
drandahl vs
Tinylightsflash
Aeiou vs no lynch
Sammiya vs

No embellishments, because this is supposedly average. Also, I hope your grandmother is doing okay, drandahl! The host is also still out to my knowledge, so please save your questions until then :')

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 34]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20 ... 34  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum